Position: Laboratory Aide
Department/Reports To: Department Supervisor and/or Shift Supervisor
Responsible for assuring that all specimens brought to the laboratory are accurately counted, sorted and labeled for testing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include department programs, quality control, quality assurance and safety.
o Accurately handles and processes specimens
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen processing
- Correctly identifies proper tubes and containers for each test type
- Counts, sorts and labels tubes and specimenso Ensures quality of laboratory services
- Utilizes appropriate resources for proper specimen processing
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.o Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
o Promotes excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Communicates with laboratory staff and other department staff members to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with staff members.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to patients and clients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment and keeps work area neat and clean.
o Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
o Attends all in house training and meetings as requested.
o Accurately enters all patient demographics and tests ordered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
o Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and staff.
o Ability to work in an environment conducive to a clinical laboratory setting.
Education, Licensure, Certification:
o High School diploma or GED
o Proficient data entry skills
o Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
o Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under.
o Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations.
o Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility.
Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work within time constraints.