Job Title: Medical Technologist
Reports To: Department Manager and/or Team Lead
LSA Status: Non-Exempt
Responsible for performing moderate complexity testing. Analyzes, reviews, and reports test results and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
Utilizes technical skills and abilities to perform clinical laboratory testing.
- Competently performs all tests in moderate complexity testing.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analysis, reporting, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Understands and operates test systems proficiently.
- Ability to troubleshoot test systems and take appropriate action where indicated.
- Ability to work alone and manage all aspects of lab
Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality of laboratory services.
- Follows established policies and procedures for quality control performance and documentation.
- Performs and documents scheduled and unscheduled preventative maintenance.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and takes appropriate action, including medical director notification if indicated.
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in the laboratory’s in-service education program.
- Must be familiar with COLA regulations and inspection process
Utilizes departmental resources in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates efficiency by performing procedures rapidly and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Communicates with medical director, other department staff members and clients to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with staff members and clients.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment and keeps work area neat and clean.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to patients and clients.
- Communicates through written, face-to-face, telephone and electronic methods.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required.
- Through education, experience and licensure, possesses the requisite knowledge to accurately perform laboratory testing, use appropriate instrumentation and understand test results and their application.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and prioritize multiple projects with skills in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to collect data for further analysis.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems and to make evaluative judgments.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and staff and with laboratory clients.
- Ability to troubleshoot instruments as needed.
- May be subject to overtime as the workload fluctuates and as required by the laboratory.
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
Education and/or experience:
- Medical Technologist License.
- Degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science.
- Certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or ASCP eligible preferred.
- Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under.
- Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations.
- Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility.
- Requires the ability to hear audible alarms on temperature monitored equipment and automated analyzers.
Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and in critical situations